Abuja 07th May 2014: Protests demanding the government to take robust action to rescue more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by the terror group Boko Haram continued nationwide on Wednesday.
Two hundred school girls were kidnapped from their secondary school in Chibok, Borno State in Nigeria April 14.
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau claimed responsibility for their abduction.
The girls were the spoils of war, man claiming to be Shekau said in a 57-minute video made available to the media,
He said the girls had spent over 20 days in his custody and he had been treating them as “booties of war”.
The terrorist leader added that he might decide to sell them as articles in the market or give them out in marriage.
“We would also give their hands in marriage because they are our slaves. We would marry them out at the age of nine. We would marry them out at the age of 12, it depends on our choice.”
The girls were captured because they were attending formal school, said Shekau adding “Western education is a sin, it is forbidden; women must go and marry.”
There are new reports of abduction of eight more girls aged between 12 and 15.
They were abducted from the village of Warabe on Sunday night.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has said they are doing everything they can.
“We’ve done a lot — but we are not talking about it. We’re not Americans. We’re not showing people, you know, but it does not mean that we are not doing something,” a spokesperson said.
U. S offered military support in the search for the girls.